Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life Is Not Easy As You Think

You will learn to appreciate or maybe more observant to the things around you after you lose something very important in your life if you may considered it. This is a good way to start another blog from me. Entering the 12th day in USM, everything is still in control I guess. I already attended four classes for four different subjects in three days minus a week of orientation and weekends. Of course it’s still okay because all are just introductions to the subjects. Starting next week, some lecturers will start with the first chapter while some will straightaway begin with two chapters. Not only start to study, we are also ‘feed’ with assignments for each subject and tutorial classes for every subjects coming right after our back. Each subject takes 3 credits equivalent to 3 hours in contact with the lecturer which consists of 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour for tutorial. For your info, for this 1st semester, I’ll be taking seven subjects. If you think that there is some typing error, you are wrong. No typing error. You’re correct. Your eyes are working perfectly regardless you’re long-sighted or short-sighted and your brains didn’t interpret wrongly. SEVEN subjects in ONE semester! SIX core subjects plus ONE university course which automatically registered for us. This is the following:

Financial Accounting (Core)
Business Communication (Core)
Microeconomics (Core)
Introduction to Management (Core)
Business Mathematics (Core)
Information Technology and Accounting (Core)
Entrepreneurship (University course)

Wait for a moment. There is a lot surprises awaiting us to discover. For today’s Financial Accounting classes, the lecturer just gives a wonderful present to those who doesn’t have basic in accounting.

Lecturer: May I know who are from science stream and didn’t take up accounting in STPM? Please rise up your hands.

A couple of students raised up their hand including me.

Lecturer: Who didn’t take up accounting in SPM level also? Please rise up your hands.

The same number of students raised up their hands including ME AGAIN.

Lecturer: Okay. To be fair to all of you, for those don’t have any basic in accounting, you’re assigned for extra classes to learn the basic. The time and place will be decided later by your instructor.

In my mind, it was like “What the hell?! Another EXTRA classes? Oh My GOD!” I already have SEVEN subjects in hand and I’m not very sure whether I can handle it or not. Now I have another extra class to attend. SEVEN plus ONE equal to…..How many? EIGHT!! Where I will get to find time for so many subjects? I really doubt that 24 hours a day is enough. During the orientation, they said “Don’t just study hard but must PLAY hard too.” I’m certainly will “PLAY” hard. In those four classes, we are asked to buy all the textbooks needed throughout this semester by next week. You know what? The price tag for those books really hit us hard. The feeling is like a trailer coming in high speed just bang right in front of you. For now, the price for the four books we needed to buy for our four subjects cost us in between RM50 to RM70. Some lecturers asked us to buy original and don’t photocopy the books. It’s so costly. Anyway, I still plan to photocopy some books even I’m restricted to do. I just don’t bring it to class and I study it in my room out of their sight. Not only just that, they want us to get it by this week and we must study those chapters required before entering for their lectures next week. All of us like rushing like mad cows searching for those books with cheapest price we can get because some bookstores try to take advantage on students who needed those books urgently by charging extra 3 or 4 bucks. You must be thinking why we are rushing. Let me explain to you. Our accounting course has around 100 students and the management course has around 300 students. Some of our subjects are joined with the management students. You imagine around 400 students try to get the same book from three bookstores nearby. How many books they could have for us? If we don’t get, we have to book for it. Even if we book for it, the books only will arrive next week where we need it by this week. What a day I have!

Another thing to talk about would be the commuter service. For my very first day to attend my very first lecture class, I wake up around 7am as my class start at 9am. I know it’ll be a lot people trying to get on the bus to go to their respective classes. So, I plan to go out an hour early to avoid “human” congestion. After dressed up properly with my hair gelled, looking good and took my breakfast, I waited at the bus stop nearby my hostel. After a while, a bus drive by and we all prepared to alight. I saw the bus was so packed with people until there are barely any spaces to fit any passengers anymore. But then, the bus still stopped in front of us and still got people get on the bus. I could see people suffocated with air and get squeezed like layered cake. Then, the bus passed by and I keep waiting for another bus. Another bus came and the condition in the bus is exactly the same like the previous bus. It’s already 8.15am and I still standing at the bus stop. Then, another bus came and I could see some spaces to squeeze in. However, it’s not I’m the only one could see it. When the bus stopped, everyone rushed to the bus door. Since we’re small, we’re taught that “KITA MESTI BERATUR SEMASA MENAIKI BAS.” There is totally no line at all and people cutting queue. Aiya! We’re Malaysians la! Whoever concern about queuing up. However, I still managed to get on the bus but I already sweating all over before even I get into my class. All I just do is waiting for bus and go to class. When I reached to the bus stop near my class, I need to squeeze through AGAIN just to get down the bus. From the moment I reached my class, I’m all wet like just coming out from sauna room. This is a summary about my twelve days in campus. I’ll share with you all more in the next blog. Thanks for spending time to read my very LONG blog.

3 comments:

冰冰-ping said...

life is easy if u think is easy!!!=)

jacklynh88 said...

haha..
i could imagine the day when u all prepared but ruined by that flesh packed bus..
lolz..

hey...
how long is your semester?

j i a x i a n g said...

my semester 3 months lor as usual..not meh?haha..how's ur life then?